Wednesday, March 14, 2007

When interests provide context?

On Monday, I posted saying I thought the idea of VAT on air travel was loopy. It seems Tim Hames at the Times thinks so too, although whilst I had just one word, he's got quote a few, and in doing so pretty much rips Cameron and Osbourne apart bit by bit.

What's noticeable though is that he appears to have an undeclared interest in supporting the travel industry. Last year he was a speaker and "moderator" at the Institute of Travel and Tourism conference in Gran Canaria. In fact, it looks like he's quite a regular. The ITT say he's a "familiar face at the helm" and a "veteran" of their conferences.

I guess it's all about context at the end of the day? No?

3 comments:

James Higham said...

Context, bontext. It doesn't alter the fact that the idea of VAT on air travel is loopy.

dizzy said...

indeed it does remain loopy. I'm just pointing out that Hames may have had other reasons for disliking it so much.

Anonymous said...

The "ordinary families" loophole is stark raving mad.

That said, VAT on air travel seems no more and no less objectionable than VAT on anything else: why should the government tax 17.5% of the price if I spend my money on DVDs and pizza, but not if I spend it on flights abroad...?

John B