Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Cameron on queyntes?

I was rather amused by the absolute quote of the day from David Cameron which Iain Dale has blogged about. In response to a question of why Cameron did not use Twitter he said,
It's too instantaneous... Too many twits might make a twat".
Iain has gone to note how the vulgarity of the word 'twat' isn't really there anymore. Not sure I agree with that, in my experience if you pop up North it is very much still vulgar - my mother used to slap me for saying it and she was from Cumberland.

Anyhow, on the subject of such vulgar words, I was reminded of this rather amusing line from Chaucer's The Wife of Bath,

"Is it for ye wolde have my queynte allone?"
The way I see it, if Chaucer can use the word "cunt", albeit it in Middle English, then it can't be all that bad, can it?

No comments: