Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Telegraph gets conned... at what cost?

Guido has beaten me to it about a press reelase from the Telegrpah boasting that they have secured a deal to give them the rights to post content from The Onion.

I've just come off the phone with the people that sent me the press release having essentially asked them "why have the Telegraph paid for something that is free for us all to use and post already? What is it that they bought that is special?". The answer to that question is being sought.

Something tells me the official answer won't be "they got hustled" even though we all know it is. Anyhow, here's one of my favourite Onion videos posted on this blog for free with no deal required thanks to them giving me the embed code.


Live From Congress: The Skull Fucking Bill Of 2007

4 comments:

James Schneider said...

absolutely superb

Anonymous said...

It may be a reciprocal deal, like the Onion has with Slate, CNN and the Washington Post, that'll get Telegraph content on the bottom of the Onion's front page as well. I can see how that might be attractive.

But if it's just the videos, they've been had.

Shug Niggurath said...

I don't know how this works, but if it's like YouTube where embedded videos can be disabled after so many views then perhaps that's what they are buying into.

Had a YouTube video posted to a site I run and it timed out after about 10,000 views and then reappeared later. I'd guess that's part of it too to be fair the Telegraph probably gets more hits per story than most sites likely to embed.

Anonymous said...

TelegraphTV's videos contain embedded adverts, generating revenue - so paying a content provider and getting the right to included adverts is a profitable arrangement.