Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Tipping....

On Tuesday the Independent launched another of its campaign, this time on the issue of tipping in restaurants. As I read it, all that sprung to mind was Mr Pink in Reservoir Dogs.

Personally I'm with Mr Pink. I only tip if its worth tipping, I don't do it as a matter of course. What's more, those that complain about how the tips are used to top up to minimum wage I would say this.

If it is wrong to pay someone minimum wage as per the law then change the minimum wage to compensate for it. Obviously with inflation like it is that will rise quite quickly, but hey, business makes the economy roll, and of the "exploiters of labour" fold then it will become even worse.
N.B. Crazy Thatcherite market fundamentalist post

7 comments:

Oncewerefree said...

Mr Pink survived - all those who spoke up for tipping died. I am with Mr Pink.

Anonymous said...

So you're happy to tip if it's worth tipping but your also happy if the tips don't actually go to the person you're tipping?

dizzy said...

I only tip cash not by card which is where this 'problem' lies

Anonymous said...

It is very, very rare to get service in London worth tipping.

Incidentally, what is it exactly that you're expected to tip for? Is there an alternative 'help yourself' service, whereby you collect your food from the kitchen and deliver it to your table yourself?

Unknown said...

I'm amazed that chap Martin Couchman told the Indie he think's its perfectly legal to make up the minimum wage through tips: only recently the Employment Appeal Tribunal decided it's not, at least if you use the popular tronc method to do it. So his members are going to have to be cleverer about it than Annabel's if they're going to keep getting away with this.

Anonymous said...

There has been a few times where the service has been so atrocious that I have been compelled to remove the vuluntary tip. This always causes a discussion with the manager, sometimes thay have even refunded the cost of the food.

Mind you I have yet to come across a waitress that is willing to give me a BJ just so she can get a bigger tip. I'm still waiting. :-)

Shug Niggurath said...

I don't tip, if they are on the minimum wage the government already chooses to tip them on my behalf and call it Working Tax Credit.