Monday, March 19, 2007

Peter Hain goes from despair to where?

Croydonian has just posted about Peter Hain and commented on how Hain lists classic welsh bands as his favourite including the Manic Street Preachers. Now far be it from me to think that Hain is cynical choosing these bands, but as a Manics fan of old I was wondering which songs Hain might like best. Perhaps he likes the opening track off "The Holy Bible", called "Yes"
For sale? dumb cunt's same dumb questions
Virgin? listen, all virgins are liars honey
And I don't know what I'm scared of or what I even enjoy
Dulling, get money, but nothing turns out like you want it to
And in these plagued streets of pity you can buy anything
For $200 anyone can conceive a god on video
He's a boy, you want a girl so tear off his cock
Tie his hair in bunches, fuck him, call him rita if you want
I eat and I dress and I wash and I still can say thank you
Puking - shaking - sinking I still stand for old ladies
Can't shout, can't scream, hurt myself to get pain out
Then I wondered if maybe he preferred the second track on that album called "Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayitsworldwouldfallapart". The song basically calls anyone on the right a racist. Or perhaps he prefers "Archives of Pain"?

Then again, he might be more of a "Generation Terrorists" man and enjoys the second track on that album with it's memorable chorus,
Natwest, natwest-barclays-midlands-lloyds
Blackhorse apocalypse
Death sanitised through credit
Having said that he gets funding from private equity people, so maybe it's not his most favourite. I bet he really likes "You Love Us" with it's classic line "Parliament's a fake life saver" though.

Something tells me that Hain hasn't really listened to the Manics very extensively. Instead, a "walking abortion" of a campaign manager told him to say he liked them. If it's a woman I imagine "she is suffering" as a "spectator of suicide".

Hain's new deputy leadership campaign website is here

No comments: