Monday, January 08, 2007

Second Life goes Open Source

Personally, I don't do Second Life, but I know a few people who do. I tried it once and it just seemed to be a MUD with graphics. As soon as I realised that it I had to run away screaming before I lost my life, my wife and everything around me. This said, it's quite a significant step that today the Second Life source code was released to the wider community.

As Phoenix Linden alluded to on his blog today when he announced it. Releasing the code for such a massively successful application was as inevitable as Netscape releasing the Communicator code after NCSA had released Mosaic 2.0 with the liberal license that brought us Internet Explorer.

It will be interesting to see how the Second Life Grid grows over the next 14 years. If it goes anything like the browser the potential for some interesting features is certainly there - even it is still just a fancy MUD.

Incidentally, if anyone is interested in MUDs might I suggest the Asylum MUD. It looks like it's the year 2920 now, and apparently it's a clear Summer's afternoon. I really shouldn't have logged on to see what was happening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to a bloggers' breakfast tomorrow where this will be discussed and don't know much about it. I shall follow your links, but I don't really understand this, I must admit. What is a fancy MUD?

Ralph Lucas said...

Don't need a MUD - the House of lords supplies all the unreality I can handle.