Wednesday, January 19, 2011

An In/Out Referendum?

Rarely do I think that a politician suggesting a law has hit on to an absolute winner, but the amendment to the European Union Bill currently being debated by Peter Bone MP is a master-stroke, but alas I fear it will not come to be (but we can hope right?).

It basically goes like this. If a treaty change occurs that requires a referendum, and if the result that referendum is a "No" then it will automatically instigate an "in/out" referendum on EU membership as a whole.

As someone that really doesn't see the point in membership of the EU, and someone who is rather irritated by the fact that my parents had a vote on membership of the EC which was a wholly different thing, I think it's about time we had another.

Personally, I think there ought to be a each-generation type amendment too that locks in some sort of membership affirmation referendum every X number of years so that a decision that we might make now does not bind the right of self-determination by my grandchildren, but hey ho, never likely to happen.

No comments: