Friday, September 21, 2007

Is a conference pass debacle coming?

The Tory MP Nadine Dorries has blogged about how her conference pass is being delayed because the local constabulary want to double check who she is. Interestingly, I spoke with Fingerprint Events this morning and was told that my pass was still going through security checks with Lancashire Police.

Fair enough - slightly worrying - but also confusing. You see, I registered online in July, printed out the form, got a photo done and then Fingerprint received them by mail on July 12th (so it's not like I registered at the last minute). The forms have been sitting in an In-Tray for two and a half months. What's more, my hard copies were sent in the same envelope as someone elses who received their pass two weeks ago!

I do have some news though for anyone wondering whether they will get their pass on time. Apparently, if you have registered for pre-accreditation then St Johns Church, opposite the Winter Gardens, will be open from this Tuesday for people to collect passes from.

Yes, that does seem crazily early, but I guess some people who are local to Blackpool might find it useful. I was also told the place would be open until 10pm most evenings. I'm not sure if the early opening is indicative of expected problems, or just precautionary because of the problems last year.

If Brown calls an election next week it could all be cancelled and then any ptoential embarassment might be averted!

2 comments:

Neil Reddin said...

I noticed that the accred. office was open until 2pm on the Wednesday (last day of conference). Are they expecting a last minute rush?

Looks like the Hilton (outside the security zone) may become the de-facto alternative conference hotel.

Jonathan Sheppard said...

Indeed - and I have been to conference for probably the last 10 years (actually all 3 party conferences). Apparently my pass was produced a week ago - but as of yet it hasnt arrived!