Thursday, January 25, 2007

Microsoft pays blogger to edit Wikipedia

According to a report on CNN, Microsoft has been caught out paying a blogger to "correct" what it believed were inaccurate and slanted Wikipedia entries.

I'm not quite sure why this is considered such a big story given that Wikipedia is an open document format and it would be surprising if companies didn't have people being paid to make sure they were not being portrayed in ways they considered "inaccurate". Remember that I say this is a Linux advocate and a hater of Microsoft as well.

I guess the reason it's causing a storm on the blogosphere is because it was a blogger who was paid. If it was a Microsoft Communications officer no one would probably care.

5 comments:

Jonathan Sheppard said...

Shock horror-blogger paid.

I have read other articles where bloggers seem morally outraged so to speak when bloggers have been given products in the hope they may review them.

Interestingly Ive been sent one of the new Vodafone datacards that goes in your USB slot. Have they influenced me? No -I already use the older data card version.Is it any different to people who are given free books to review? Not in my book.

I really don't get people who seem to take it upon themselves to write rules and regualtions for bloggers. What do you say Dizzy?

Unknown said...

Can I just say that no one has offered to pay me anything for blogging or has sent me any free stuff. More shockingly, I don't think that Microsoft is the devil incarnate. In fact, I think it has generally been a force for good in making computers accessible and easy to use. So there.

dizzy said...

I really don't get people who seem to take it upon themselves to write rules and regualtions for bloggers. What do you say Dizzy?

=========================================

Now now, I don't want to encourage him.

Guido 2.0 said...

Manic will not make a lot of noise, but he thinks you dodged a well-made point. Again.

dizzy said...

I love the way not responding to something - irrespective of whether you consciously do it or not - is "dodging". You're off your fucking head mate.