Tuesday, December 19, 2006

I bet the value-add is poor on this IT system

I never knew that it existed, but apparently there is an online pension planner and forecast service run by the Department of Work and Pensions (see here) . The scary thing about it is that, according to the Government, it has incurred a cost of £11.3 million "to date" to develop, set up and run.

I wonder what its usage statistcs are? I bet the per usage cost ratio doesn't represent significant value-add. I don't deny I may be a tad cynical, but can you blame me given the fact that even Government minister's admit they are incompetent at IT?

2 comments:

Thomas said...

I know it's been a few years since I did web design - back when I were a lad, but it does seem that the idea of "how much is my state pension" shouldn't cost anything like the figure quoted. It's basically the equivalent of a final year project at a not particularly good university.

Even if you allow for the costs of servers, routers and firewalls - thats an incredible amount.

Unless of course it's the cost of the Windows licences - suddenly it starts to make sense.

Anonymous said...

http://www.sbjbc.co.uk/calc.asp

1 month of one persons dev time.