Saturday, December 02, 2006

A candidate for expulsion

Have just spotted a rather worrying comment in a thread over at Iain Dale's blog. In his post about about the new candidate being selected for North Norfolk (the seat previously fought by Iain in 2005), someone posted a comment stating:
I was at Trevor's selection meeting last night. I voted for him. But at the beginning of the meeting a man stood up and asked the chairman the following question:

"Could we be assured that neither of the candidates is a homosexual".

I now know what you had to put up with. My resignation from the Party is in the post unless I have an assurance that this man, who I had never seen before, is chucked out of the Party. Is there a mechanism to achieve this?
Frankly I agree with the poster's sentiments regarding kicking this person, whoever it was (and assuming it's true) out of the Party. Whether someone is gay or not shouldn't really make any difference to their suitability to stand for Parliament. In fact someone who is so vehmently anti-gay probably has something to hide.

Update: Amusingly, some people out there have taken this post to be indicative of a growing acceptance of political correctness in the Conservative Party. My objection to this incident (which I am still assuming to be true) is not about political correctness. My objection is that I do not believe such opinions are compatible with the meritocratic fundamentals conservatism.

6 comments:

ThunderDragon said...

I certainly agree. Quite how a person's sexual orientation can effect their suitability to be a Candidate or MP is beyond me!

Chris Palmer said...

And whether or not someone dislikes gay people or not, or merely asks a question about whether a candidate(s) is gay is no reason to kick a person out the party.

If you cast your mind back to the General Election of a year and a half ago, you will possibly remember the absolutely useless showing by a certain Iain Dale, Conservative PPC for Norfolk North who was infact, gay.

Who is to say what the full reasons behind Mr Dale losing 3,000 votes and the Lib Dems increasing their vote by 10% (8,000) but I cannot say that being an openly gay candidate did him any favours.

In the eyes of the voting public, being gay might very well affect a person's suitability in Parliament.

Yet, interestingly enough, after all that, Mr Dale has somehow managed to find his way onto the A-list. These strange times we live in.

dizzy said...

"but I cannot say that being an openly gay candidate did him any favours."

Likewise you cannot say it didn't.

Chris Palmer said...

What do you mean you cannot say it didn't? One man standing up and asking if either the new candidates are gay is surely an indicator.

Tejus Ramakrishnan said...

im not particulary fond of that lot.. but as you say it should not really be a qualification upon which our MPs get elected.. but again the person asking the question need not be thrown out of the party because we are a broad church I believe and can accomadate all sorts.. unless you feel otherwise ofcourse?

dizzy said...

One man standing up and asking if either the new candidates are gay is surely an indicator.

I think you'll find that's you making an inference that it is, rather than it being so.